House price index from CLG
The key points were:
- UK house prices were 7.4% higher than in February 2009 and 0.1% lower than in January 2010 (seasonally adjusted).
- The mix-adjusted average house price in the UK stood at £204,359 in February 2010 (not seasonally adjusted).
- UK house prices rose by 2.9% in the quarter ending February 2010. This compares with a larger rise of 3.4% for the quarter ending November 2009 (seasonally adjusted).
- Annual average house prices rose in England (7.9%), Scotland (4.2%) and Wales (4.7%), but fell in Northern Ireland (-8.3%).
- Annual average house prices paid by first time buyers in February 2010 were 9.3% higher than a year ago. Average house prices paid by former owner occupiers were 6.6% higher.
- Annual average house prices paid for new properties in February 2010 were 3.9% lower than a year ago. Average house prices paid on pre-owned dwellings were 8.2% higher.